RockNet, the Headquarters of the RAF Regiment Network

Surrogate home to the Rock Ape and the tradesmen who support them.
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I try not to think of this tour
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:04 pm 
Oct 85 - Sept 87 - 2 years of working with the yanks. My thanks to Steve Scott, Bob Munro, Tony Wildgoose and the other Rocks on B flt for keeping me sane.

Post subject: Re: I try not to think of this tour
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:55 pm 
Rock Ape
Squadron Leader

I quite enjoyed my tour looking back on it. didnt seem like much fun at the time however. you never remember the bad bits.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:27 am 
Rock Ape
Corporal

I will say Ron, it was an expirence, you can never forget: my biggest fear was once I got away, they would send me back again.

Steve Scott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:30 am 
Rock Ape
Corporal

I have just been watching Top Gear, and the flash backs just came rushing back seeing the Glcm Silos: they used Lada's we used Hummers not much difference then?

Steve S

:faint:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:57 am 
Rock Ape
Squadron Leader

They certainly had a different way of working. some of the biggest cheesers I ever met were on that unit. I think at that time joining the American military was done because it was a way for a deadbeat to feel they were someone. I met some people I really liked though and one I fancied like buggery, 6' tall and of Norwegian ancestry. Never got near her.
Wosrst for me was night shifts in those blazers, trying to stay awake with the heater on cos the American was cold.
Best was finding an excuse to go to Abingdon for admin.
conversely, you think of some of the psychopaths we gave six mags to near a nuclear asset.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:02 am 
Rock Ape
RockNet Dog Chew
Wing Commander

I was at greenham common, well i was supposed to be there for a month doing fence guard but i rolled a landrover and was kicked off the camp and later got two weeks at raf northolt nick :laughingat:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:23 am 
Rock Ape
Squadron Leader

Oh I walked the wire there too. wellies had a barbed wire nick that let in cold water. my namesake tthe flt lt did not like the fact that (in december) we had braziers to keep us warm. He thought (rightly I suppose) that we would huddle round them and not be vigilant. and so would only allow is coal and would sabotage any efforts to get stuff to start the brazier off.
an american drove past and I asked him to get me something to light the coal with. He duly returned with a jerrycan about half full of aviation fuel. Liberally poured over the coal it went up like bonfire night then, being aviation fuel it had burned out before the coal had even got warm. so I tried again. thing was, in the recesses of the brazier there was still a bit that was warm enough to reach the flashpoint of aviation fuel.
Up it went and tracked up the pouring fuel and into the now nearly empty jerrycan where it set about becoming a flamethrower. This in panic I lobbed over the fence to within about 20 metres of a peace camp. It burned out without them noticing. could have been worse.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:31 am 
Rock Ape
RockNet Dog Chew
Wing Commander

Also when i was there one of the smellies would give you a blowjob through the fence for some charcoal till a fucking snowdrop grassed her and she was taken away.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:53 am 
Rock Ape
Squadron Leader

Pandora and marmalade. neither of those were smellies but both were renowned. Bless em. never met either but they were legendary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:20 pm 
Rock Ape
RockNet Dog Chew
Wing Commander

The smellies were good at getting in and it was always fun chasing them around camp either on foot or landrover, they would cut the chain link fence then do it back up again like a zip so it was hard to see but the sharkeye torches would pick it up and blind the cows too. Steve young and myself were arrested on our day by THE MOD PLODS steve had a MG sports car we went to the PX and bought a crate of beer which we were going to ply to the smellies so we could then shag em, anyway the PLODS clocked us parked up with the smellies pouring drink like there was no tomorrow down there necks, and they drove up and arrested us, they said that we had been converted by the smellies took us ages for them to believe we just wanted to shag em :niceone: