RockNet, the Headquarters of the RAF Regiment Network

Surrogate home to the Rock Ape and the tradesmen who support them.
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: One of Micks Work Stations.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:39 am 
Rock Ape
Wing Commander

Hi

@Ginge,

There is deffo some deep satisfaction in getting/ancient kit up and running OnLine.

---

@Charlie A,

Good one, just remember to back up onto a USB stick or print off the Gen.

---

@Coatsy2033

"Didn't understand a word you said. At 74, it just went over my head."

I have used old computers for 34 years and knew that I'd most likely end up in a wheelchair as my Arthritis spread.

Having heard of Rockapes who have put in long service and being discharged then sitting down and dying within 6 Months I decided I needed a hobby which I could do from a chair. I've been lucky mate.

---

@ Duncan

Nice one mate, I have a Pi3 on order and a mate will install it into an Amiga 600 case for me.

---

The best Retro system OnLine I've heard of was a Spectrum+3 at the first Retro Computer Fair Bletchly (where else) a few years ago streaming video in 2 colours :)

Sadly I was too ill to attend and missed seeing it.

Regards, Mick D.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:34 am 
Rock Ape
Squadron Leader

Don't worry Shakers, I got lost after Raspberry. Didn't know you could eat computers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:00 pm 
Rock Ape
Flight Lieutenant

GingeM wrote:
Coatsy:

You must be really short.... This "technology" is positively ancient... The secret is adapting to it...

I, like you, grew up with black and white TV... Damn, that was wonderful... I still remember the first time I saw a colour TV... :faint:

Now look... You can be lying on a beach in Buttfuck, Nowhereland and someone will call you... It used to be that unless you were in your house that conversation was impossible.

It's all a matter of perspective and acceptance... :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I like computers and mobile phones, it's just that I wish I had had them 20 ,30 years ago, you know yourself there are children 5 of 6 years old ues them, not very good I must admit, but they will grow up with them,
The only computer we had in the 40s 50s,60s, was your brain and ten fingers to add up with, the first tv I saw was the Queens coronation in the early 50s, moving pictures in a room without having to go to the pictures, times have ,and are ,changing,
No, I like computers ,being able to do even this, sending messages, like all of us, when I was in Cyprus and Singapore, writing home, it would take a week to get a reply to the letter you wrote, now, if the person you are writing to by computer is there waiting, you get an answer within ,at least four to five minutes, great.
Coatsy2033.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:24 am 
Rock Ape
Wing Commander

I agree with you to a point Coatsy, instant communication can be a blessing but it can also be a curse. That's why when I send emails I put a 5 minute delay on them just in case, in a fit of anger, I have said something that I shouldn't have said and think better of it once I have pushed send. It just pays to be cautious because once said and put in writing the damage is done.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:59 am 
Rock Ape
Wing Commander

Hi Bill,

Excellent advice. :niceone:

And if you have a "Long Fuze" like me wait 24 hours and re-read before sending.

Regards, Mick D.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:29 am 
Rock Ape
Squadron Leader

Well this is going to a tad unpopular . :) . Self censureship is the begining of the end . Fuck it ...you self -censure what you write electronicaly, so that after writing anything you have to take a wee break for a few mins to calm down and re-read your own Fucking message to see if you used foul , inapropriate language or threatened anyone , before you send the message . Its almost like you are all scared of saying anything in your own way , in the moment you are in . Just an opinion . And exactly who cares if you say you want to strangle a person digitaly and who just the fuck is listening to a badly worded rant from a non -eloquent real person who is cross about something ? . Oh Shit ... I think there may be a problem somewhere. And it starts in your head . Its Psy-op tactics , that seem to work rather well . :evil: Just Saying ! . Chopper.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:48 am 
Rock Ape
Wing Commander

Chopper, in an ideal world what you say here is probably something that we would all like to be able to do. However, in the business world it could be very damaging and sometimes fatal if a client does something that pisses you off and you react in an inappropriate way in writing . The same thing applies to postings to friends and colleagues. Sometimes they say things that push your button and you react. Sometimes with just a few minutes of time out you can re read the offending words and get a different meaning from them. Many of us do not communicate that well in writing and even more of us do not always correctly interpret the written word in the manner that the sender wanted it interpreted. What does it achieve to fly off the handle and rip the face off someone who has simply miscommunicated or had their communication mis read.

No mate, I will continue using the delay button and hopefully keep the clients that I have as well as the friends and family that I love. :salute: :BrownNose: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:22 am 
Rock Ape
Squadron Leader

Very wise comments from Bill and Mick.

Best you take note Chopper – they’re old blokes who know proper stuff, innit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:51 pm 
Rock Ape
Squadron Leader

Yes ,points taken , sort of a stitch in time saves nine . I get it :niceone: . I have never worked in a business envirement which I am not sorry about at all ... it seems to be the kind of thing I ardently avoid ...Stress from fuckwits , Stress from trying to control unexpected situations and stuff like that .That way I dont get to over-react or mis-interpret too often and get to see the better sides of people . :lol: . As a mate with a lot of workers said to me .." At the end of each day I think about how many people I have working for me .. and how many I have working against me " . Love to all , Chopper .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:12 pm 
Rock Ape
Wing Commander

So very unfortunately true mate. If it wasn't for staff business would function incredibly well and trouble free. But it is like women, you can't do with them and you can't do without them :lol: :lol: