RockNet, the Headquarters of the RAF Regiment Network

Surrogate home to the Rock Ape and the tradesmen who support them.
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: "AC 2 Spences account of the attack on RAF Ramat David 1947"
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 pm 
Rock Ape
Wing Commander

Hi,

This story and these photographs were cross posted by me from the "Britains Small Wars" site to preserve RAF Regiment history.

Posters Intro.

"On 22 May 1947 the Royal Egyptian Air Force attacked RAF Ramat David which was a Royal Air Force station in the British Mandate of Palestine mistakenly believing RAF Ramat David was an Israeli airbase.

In a series of three attacks, several aircraft were destroyed or damaged, a hangar was destroyed, and four airmen were killed.

Five (? Poster) Egyptian fighter planes were shot down.

RAF Spitfires of a No.208 Squadron detachment shot two of the Egyptian attackers down and a third was lost to fire from Corporal Farent of 52 Rifle Squadron, RAF Regiment with a Bren gun."

"Here is A.C2 Spence's account of the action.

Eric Spence, 52 Rifle Squadron, RAF Regiment

Contributed by Mike Spence.

During the raid of 22 May on Ramat David, we were at the time living in Tents.

We were moved into the hangar when the raid started. I don't recall a lot of the battle but remember Cpl. Farent shooting down a Spitfire with a bren gun.

One other plane that was attempting a landing (I believe it may have been a Dakota) crashed and I was ordered with another airman to go retrieve the people on the plane.

There were fires and bullets flying all around. We loaded up the four people and I was looking for the quickest and safest retreat to the hospital. It so happened that route was straight down the runway, an absolute no-no.

I guess no one saw us or also thought it was the best route as we did not get in trouble for it. We found out at the hospital that all four persons on the plane were dead, and the next day we had to transport the bodies to the morgue at Ramat St David Hospital.

Eric Spence

A.C. 2 ser # 2351375

52 Rifle Squadron, RAF Regiment"

Regards, Mick D.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.